Sunday, March 13, 2011

Whitner Vows "Best Season Ever"

Bills safety and pending free agent Donte Whitner posted this on Twitter today:

DonteWhitner:
I will have my best season ever this upcoming year....wherever I end up!

While it is encouraging to hear Whitner speak with such confidence, it isn't the first time he's talked a big game. Back in 2008, he guaranteed the Bills would make the playoffs. After a 5-1 start, the Bills sputtered into a 7-9 finish. Additionally, Whitner is already coming off what is arguably his best season as a pro, where he finished 5th in the NFL with 140 total tackles. It will be hard for him to top that season, regardless of where he ends up. And my initial feeling is that the Bills will not re-sign Donte.

Whitner has not exactly lived up to the expectations of the 8th overall pick in 2006. After a promising rookie season, Whitner has shown outstanding ability to make open-field tackles, but lackluster ability in coverage. It was rumored that the Bills had offered Whitner close to $5 million per year, but he held out for $7 million per year. While I can't confirm nor deny those rumors, I can say that I don't think the Bills and Whitner will iron out a deal to keep him in Buffalo any longer.

Follow me on Twitter at: GTorlone

No comments:

Post a Comment